Truck Accident Attorneys in Charleston
Beating South Carolina Big Rigs Since 2000
Commercial shipping using 18-wheel semi-trucks is a multi-billion-dollar business—especially here in the Charleston, South Carolina area where the State Port Authority fuels much of our economy. Unfortunately, the high pressure placed on truck drivers and shipping companies can result in those companies cutting corners related to driver and load safety. These shortcuts, as well as other precarious elements of trailer trucks, can lead to accidents. Accidents with semi-trailer trucks, even seemingly minor ones, can result in serious injuries. If you or someone you know has been injured or killed in a collision with a semi-truck, our team of truck accident attorneys at Bostic Law Group, P.A. can help you fight for compensation. The sooner we can start working on your case, the sooner you will be able to get back on your feet. Don’t settle for a small settlement from an insurance company.
Call Bostic Law Group, P.A. at (843) 350-9646 to schedule your free consultation. We’ll work with you to help you win big.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Over 15 million commercial trucks take to our nation’s highways each year. During that same time period, over 100,000 people are injured in truck accidents.
Reasons for car and heavy-truck accidents in Charleston include:
- Speeding: Truckers are constantly pushing themselves and their vehicles to meet deadlines, which can lead to recklessness and injury. Speeding is never safe, especially for vehicles weighing 46,000 pounds per axle.
- Heavy payloads: Not only are commercial semi-trucks heavy, but they may be pulling weighty loads that make it even more difficult to stop the vehicle. When a truck with a heavy payload hits a car or other passenger vehicle, the damage can be catastrophic.
- Lack of maintenance: Overlooked or improperly completed preventive maintenance is a major factor in heavy truck accidents. Such maintenance is expensive—as a result, many trucking companies put it off or simply refuse to perform the work.
- Lack of sleep: Driver fatigue is a result of being overworked or sleep deprived. Many experienced truckers are paid by the mile, and as such, drivers often want to push their bodies to the limit to earn a better paycheck. By pushing themselves too far, professional truck drivers can end up nodding off or falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Highway hypnosis: This condition, also known as “white line fever,” is a condition that occurs when operators drive long distances without taking a break to rest. It only takes a moment for a truck driver to fail to see a break light or other visual detail that would otherwise alert a fully conscious driver to an incoming collision.
- Blind spots & noise: One of the first things truck drivers learn is how to avoid blind spots. Unfortunately, the slightest maladjustment in a semi’s mirror system can result in truck driver not realizing that he or she does not have a full view of the area around them. Furthermore, the loud engine can drown out the horns of smaller vehicles operated by concerned motorists, leading to a crash.
- Carelessness or recklessness: Last, but not least, is that some truckers have a negligent attitude and think that every other motorist should yield to them because of their massive size. This is simply not possible, and the results can be deadly.
If You Have Been Injured, Contact Us Immediately
At Bostic Law Group, P.A., our 25+ years of personal injury experience can be used to help you build a case following your accident with a semi-truck. If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, it is important to contact an attorney as quickly as possible so we can begin the process of gathering evidence while it is still fresh, such as interviewing witnesses while they clearly remember the accident.
Our Charleston truck accident attorneys will carefully investigate the events leading to your accident in an effort to obtain evidence of negligence on the part of the driver or the trucking company. Any evidence demonstrating such negligence will be used to attempt to negotiate a settlement or pursue a favorable judgment in court. The head start you give us by contacting us quickly can dramatically improve your chances of collecting compensation to cover your losses.
Meet Our Team
Dealing with Mr. Bostic was one of the most pleasant professional experiences I've had. He was thoughtful, kind, considerate, and he had clearly reviewed the details of my case prior to our discussion. He spoke w candor and he helped me to understand nu”- Craig