Foundation Defect Attorneys in Charleston
Winning Clients Compensation for Flaws in Residential Homes
For most Americans, a house is their single greatest investment. People work long and hard to save in order to afford the home of their dreams. This dream can turn into a nightmare if their home is built on a poor foundation. The foundation is among the first components of a house to be built, and arguably the most important. Foundation problems can have devastating effects on an entire building.
A house, which is otherwise built using sound construction principles, can crumble and fall if it lacks the proper foundation. At Bostic Law Group, P.A., we are here to assist with defects in your house’s foundation. If damage was caused to your house or property due to a construction flaw, we can help you win the compensation you need to make repairs or purchase a new home.
How to Detect & Remedy Foundation Defects
Our Bostic Law Group, P.A. attorneys and staff understand how frightening and frustrating it can be to discover a serious construction issue with your home, especially if the problem is unexpected and of no fault of your own. If there is a problem with your house’s foundation, you deserve compensation from the responsible parties. Below are three key points to keep in mind as you investigate problems with your house’s foundation and what to do about them.
Signs of a Foundation Flaw
There are several tell-tale signs of a foundation problem. If your house is exhibiting any of these symptoms, you may have a serious foundation defect:
- Buckling or bowing of floor
- Cracking in the walls, concrete slab, or exterior brick
- Doors and windows that will not shut
- Doors, windows, and garage doors that pull away from the rest of the structure
- Gaps where the walls meet the floor or ceiling
- Separation of moldings from the wall
- Walls that do not appear to be "plumb" or at a 90-degree angle
Causes of a Foundation Flaw
A defective foundation can be the result of many factors, including:
- Beginning construction before allowing the ground to dry
- Failure to perform adequate soil tests prior to construction
- Failure to properly compact the soil prior to construction
- Failure to use quality building materials during construction
- Improper drainage systems under and around the home
- Improper pouring and curing of the concrete slab
- Inadequate design of the foundation and surrounding elements
Solutions of a Foundation Flaw
As a homeowner experiencing foundation problems, you have several tools at your disposal to resolve a claim of defective construction:
- Providing a notice of construction defect and right to cure to the responsible contractor(s)
- Negotiated settlement with either payment of money and/or repairs
- Filing a lawsuit within three years of when you knew or should have known you had a claim
- Non-jury trial
- Jury trial
As noted above, there are time limits which dictate when you must file a lawsuit or risk forfeiting your claim forever. If you believe you may have a claim, we are happy to provide a no-cost consultation during which we will evaluate your claim and explore the options that work best for you.
Honest and uphold the highest of integrity.
“Chris Ramsey turned a bad situation into an amicable conclusion.”
The attorneys at Bostic Law Group have my complete trust.
“The staff at Bostic Law Group are pleasant and professional at all times.”
I highly recommend Bostic Law Group!
“Mr. Chris Ramsey is very knowledgeable and committed to providing excellent service.”
The attorneys of the Bostic Law Group operated with integrity and care.
“My husband and I could not have asked for a more professional and compassionate service.”
I was amazed by Bostic Law Group's graciousness!
“The attorneys at Bostic Law Group were overwhelming in their competence, kindness, and thoroughness of my legal needs.”