Rideshare Accident Attorneys in Charleston
Representing Victims of Accidents Involving Uber & Lyft Drivers
Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft have become exceedingly popular over the last several years. Yet, as is the case with any new widespread initiative, certain kinks are still being worked out. Because of this, there can be confusion when it comes to who is responsible for an accident caused by a rideshare driver. Who is at fault, the driver or the rideshare company? Our Charleston rideshare accident attorneys at Bostic Law Group, P.A. can help you navigate the intricacies of your case if you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a rideshare accident.
Determining Fault in Rideshare Accident
As the world of ridesharing becomes more established, it evolves to better accommodate situations that can arise from sharing the road with Uber and Lyft drivers. Initially, accident cases existed in a state of limbo, but in recent years both Uber and Lyft have responded by granting their drivers liability insurance. However, this insurance doesn’t take effect unless the rideshare driver is at fault and until the driver’s individual insurance provider denies their initial claim.
Coverage also varies depending on when the accident occurs. Windows include:
- When a rideshare driver is operating their vehicle but not logged in to their Uber or Lyft app (no coverage)
- When the driver is logged in, but has not yet accepted a ride request through the app ($50,000 per person injured, $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 property damage liability)
- When the driver has accepted a request and is on their way to pick up their customer (liability coverage increases to $1 million)
- When a rider is in the car with the rideshare driver (liability coverage up to $1 million plus limited coverage for damage to the driver's car and other coverage)
Our team of rideshare accident attorneys understands these complexities and can work by your side to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
What to Do Following a Rideshare Accident
As in any car accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention if you or anyone involved is clearly hurt. It is also important to get the names and insurance information of all parties involved.
Other important steps to take include:
- Thoroughly photographing the crash scene
- Getting the contact information of any witnesses
- Calling the police so you have a police report to refer to if needed
As companies like Uber and Lyft become more common, so do accidents involving their drivers. We are prepared to help if you or someone you know is an unfortunate victim of a crash caused by a rideshare driver.
Our rideshare accident attorneys are here to help. Contact us today to learn how we can win you the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Meet Our Team
Dealing with Mr. Bostic was one of the most pleasant professional experiences I've had. He was thoughtful, kind, considerate, and he had clearly reviewed the details of my case prior to our discussion. He spoke w candor and he helped me to understand nu”- Craig