Charleston Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Providing a Voice for the Vulnerable
When you go out on your bicycle, whether it’s to run errands or just to spend some time outdoors, you rarely expect to have your life put in harm’s way, but sometimes it’s a reality. Though many bicyclists are injured near roadways while biking in the bicycle lane or crossing the street, even those biking through parking lots or in driveways can be injured in accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than 467,000 bicycle accident injuries were reported in the U.S. in 2015, resulting in productivity losses and medical expenses adding up to $10 billion. If you have been injured and are facing financial debts from having to pay for medical bills and more, our Charleston bicycle accident attorneys can help. With millions recovered for past clients, Bostic Law Group, P.A. can be relied on to pursue the results you deserve after having been wrongly harmed by negligent parties.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Though bicyclists can be injured by colliding with other bicyclists or pedestrians on the road, motor vehicle accidents are what cause 90% of bicycle accident deaths. Because cars are much larger, heavier, and faster than bicycles, accidents involving cars most often cause catastrophic injuries to the bicyclist. Catastrophic injuries are those that can be long-term or permanent and require extensive medical treatment – sometimes for life. Catastrophic injuries can include head and brain injuries, spinal cord and neck injuries, paralysis, amputations, burns, and broken and crushed limbs.
Common causes of collisions that injure or kill bicyclists include:
- Vehicles cutting off bicyclists when entering roadways or making turns: Drivers have a responsibility to make sure their paths are clear before entering the road, and they’re legally obligated to wait for bicyclists to cross the street before turning. These types of accidents are caused by reckless driving.
- Drivers opening car doors in path of bicyclists: Many bicycle accidents and even motorcycle accidents are caused when drivers, who are parked on the side of the road and often beside the bicycle lane, open their doors in the path of an oncoming bicyclist.
- Drivers failing to stop at red lights or stop signs: Running red lights or stop signs is illegal and always a dangerous move for cars, and can cause fatalities when cars strike crossing bicyclists at high speeds.
- Vehicles collide with bicyclists on the side of the road: Vehicles are known to sideswipe bicyclists who are legally biking on the side of the road. This is a common accident that occurs at night when drivers have trouble seeing obstacles on the road.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
Liability for damages depends on how the accident was caused and who was involved. In many accidents involving motor vehicles, drivers are at fault and cyclists can file claims against them or their insurance company.
Other parties who can be held liable in a bicycle accident include:
- Government agencies who are responsible for maintaining and designing roads, if the road or debris caused the accident and injuries
- Bicycle manufacturers, if a faulty or broken bike part caused injuries
- Dog owners, as sometimes dogs are known to attack cyclists in public, causing injuries
- Other cyclists or pedestrians who violate the injured victim’s right of way
Damages We Can Recover
Our attorneys can prove that the at-fault party has a duty of care to you, the bicyclist, that they breached, causing your injuries directly. We’re able to use the resources we have as an established firm to strengthen your claim through investigations, witness testimony collecting, and more. Through our representation, we can secure financial compensation for your lost wages and earning capacity, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and property damage. Though it may take time for you to completely heal and return to your normal way of life, we can help you avoid falling into debt as a result of your injuries.
Our Charleston bicycle accident attorneys are ready to help you move on when you call (843) 350-9646. We’ve secured countless settlements since our firm’s founding in 2000 and can help you next.
Meet Our Team
Dealing with Mr. Bostic was one of the most pleasant professional experiences I've had. He was thoughtful, kind, considerate, and he had clearly reviewed the details of my case prior to our discussion. He spoke w candor and he helped me to understand nu”- Craig