Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Restoration of Civil Rights

Restoration of Civil Rights

Helping You Start a New Chapter in Charleston

Being convicted of a crime can have a major impact on your life that lasts long after you’ve served your sentence. In addition to prison time and fines, a conviction can limit your job prospects, prevent you from voting or owning firearms, and result in you being denied government benefits. Whether you have a criminal conviction or even if you were arrested and the charges were dropped, you might still have a public record that can be accessed by a wide range of people. However, under certain circumstances it’s possible to have your criminal record set aside and have your rights restored. If you’re ready to move on with your life and start your next chapter with a blank slate, reach out to Bostic Law Group, P.A. Our Charleston attorneys have demonstrated experience helping clients restore their civil rights and are well-versed on the laws and regulations that are unique to South Carolina. Once you’ve done your time, you deserve to be able to reintegrate back into society with ease and have another chance at a full life.

Contact our team online or by phone at (843) 350-9646 to schedule a consultation so you can meet with a member of our caring legal team.

Ways Conviction Impacts Your Life

When you’re convicted of crimes, especially if they’re felonies, you will lose the right to vote. According to the ACLU, more than 48,000 people in South Carolina are unable to vote due to felony disenfranchisement law. Additionally, if you’ve been convicted of a felony, violent crime, or a crime of domestic violence, you’re not allowed to possess a firearm.

Along with losing these rights, people with criminal convictions are disqualified from government benefits like food stamps, and they may have a harder time receiving public housing assistance. Sex offenders are also barred from public housing assistance programs.

Can I Get My Rights Restored After a Felony Conviction in South Carolina?

It’s well-known that former felons face countless challenges when reintegrating back into society, including finding housing and work. While some states have laws that cause former felons to lose some of their rights entirely, South Carolina allows former felons to restore their voting rights after serving their entire sentence, including probation and parole time.

Why Hire an Attorney

Some of the main ways you can get your civil rights restored and clean your record is through expunging your record or getting a pardon. The difference between an expungement and a pardon is that an expungement erased charges from your criminal record, so it’s as if they never existed, while a pardon provides full forgiveness of your crimes and is most likely the option you’re qualified for if you’ve been convicted.

The pardon process can take nearly a year, which is why it’s essential that you seek legal advice immediately to get started. Because of the complex paperwork involved, it’s important to hire an attorney to ensure that no mistakes are made, which can slow down the process significantly.

Some of the steps you need to take for a pardon that we can assist with include:

  • Filing an application to the Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services
  • Waiting to be investigated by agents
  • Attending a hearing by the Paroles and Pardons Board
  • Making a full payment of restitution

Our attorneys can meet with you today to determine whether you’re eligible to seek a pardon in order to have your rights restored, including the ability to vote, serve on a jury, hold public office, possess firearms, and obtain a professional license. A pardon can be granted at different times depending on the nature of the person applying for one; for example, someone who is still in prison but has been diagnosed with a terminal illness may be pardoned while still serving their sentence.

An attorney who can get started on your application as soon as you call can make a difference in whether you can get hired, see your child, or get your gun rights restored. Despite the isolation and helplessness you may feel after a conviction, you still have a future that is worth fighting for. We can help you access that future.

Call our Charleston attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you restore your civil rights after a conviction at (843) 350-9646.

Awards & Accolades

Recognized by Our Community
  • American Association for Justice
    American Association for Justice
  • Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
    Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Honoree 2017
    Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law Honoree 2017
  • Newsweek
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2016
    Avvo Clients' Choice 2016
  • LCA Proven Trial Lawyers
    LCA Proven Trial Lawyers


  • Dealing with Mr. Bostic was one of the most pleasant professional experiences I've had. He was thoughtful, kind, considerate, and he had clearly reviewed the details of my case prior to our discussion. He spoke w candor and he helped me to understand nu”

    - Craig
  • “Chris Ramsey turned a bad situation into an amicable conclusion.”

    - Eddie A.
  • “The staff at Bostic Law Group are pleasant and professional at all times.”

    - Jay M.
  • “Mr. Chris Ramsey is very knowledgeable and committed to providing excellent service.”

    - Ahmed M.
  • “My husband and I could not have asked for a more professional and compassionate service.”

    - Susan V.

Why Choose Us?

  • Over 25 Years of Legal Experience
  • Honest, Aggressive & Client-Focused Advocates
  • Personalized Attention to Our Clients
  • Actively Involved in the Community
  • Spanish-Speaking Services Available
  • Available for Weekend & Evening Appointments Upon Request

Contact Our Firm

Call (843) 350-9646 or Fill Out Our Form Below
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.